Thursday 14 July 2011

Brunch at Pigeon Hole



Everyone has been raving about Pigeon Hole and yet I had only been in there for quick take-away coffees with the guys from work, so I thought it was about time I made time for a long breakfast myself. The owners have a long background in the industry, so I was feeling confident that the reviews were all correct.


I planned my date with Pigeon Hole quite well. I was famished. Plus I had the whole day completely free to do as I wished. Well, up until 6pm when I started work at least.  Either way we weren't pushed for time and were free to eat as much as we could fit in. I don't do breakfast or brunch very often, so I was excited. 

We had to wait about 30 minutes until a table for two was free. A great sign, but at the time I may have got just a little grumpy as I felt my stomach growling. (It was 11am after all and I hadn't eaten yet!)


We started with the apple and pecan porridge which I just couldn't fault. So many cafes are getting this wrong, and I felt Pigeon Hole totally delivered. It was so wonderfully creamy, and quite rich too- best I not know how much sugar and full fat milk went into it. Yet it wasn't heavy, and believe me when I say it was full of fruit and nuts. Absolutely delicious!


We also tried the eggs en cocotte (a French dish referred to as oeufs en cocotte in French)- cooked in a dish with proscuitto, onion, spinach and the winning element, Grana Padano cheese! 


Next round was just as good- if not better. Their house made beans were fantastic. (I will always order beans, its my thing). They had a real smokey flavour through them which I loved. And yet again- the perfect addition of cheese! Something I haven't seen on beans before, yet now I can't even understand why I haven't seen it before, because is this just not the perfect dish?


But probably the star of our brunch was this dish. A washed rind cheese that had been baked with thyme and hazelnuts. It was too pretty to break into, but no looking back once we did. Oh my. Yum.


This was just the most clever dish for a small breakfast/lunch cafe. It had that element of difference and it veered away from all your typical brunch menu items. Like tradesmen eating dim sims before 9am, I can easily eat cheese before midday, and I'm sure I'm not alone on that one.


Aside from the food- I think I just fell in love with this tiny cafe, because it is just so well put together. Their attention to detail was enlightening. The gorgeous old cutlery, the vintage cake stands, the mismatched light fittings, the old bathroom sink- it all worked together so well, and as someone who has a love for great interior design, I was very impressed.


Pigeon Hole exceeded my expectations, and I will be sure to go back. In fact I tried just this week, but was so disappointed to have found they are shut on Mondays. Next week!

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to go try it, I too had heard good things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the photos turned out well

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few people have mentioned that I hadn't entered their address. Just click on the link 'Pigeon Hole' in the first sentence and this will reveal all and even show you a google map!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pigeon Hole is one of the places I really really really miss now I dont live in Hobart.

    ReplyDelete